Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Portuguese Decorative Tile

Portuguese tile is some of my favorite! It was actually some of the blue and white murals that are further below that first inspired me to pursue tile as my medium of choice. I was working on a mural in Austin TX for a Meditteranean restaraunt and while researching the design I came across Persian tile and I thought it was neat. I grabbed another book completely about tile to learn more for the project and found Portuguese tile.










I have to admit, my response was that it was beautiful, probably REALLY expensive, and... I could do that!!! And so I finished up the mural for the restaraunt and began to study tile.







It was application that really drew me to the Portuguese tile. As you can see they put on everything! I don't even know what the above building is, but it sure looks good with that tile on it!







In these pictures I started to realize that tile doesn't have to be square either!















And its this picture below that I constantly go back to in my mind. I think it's absolutely stunning ornament to these columns. I see so many opportunities to do this... If only the owner could see this picture!




1 comment: